The word ‘lottery’ itself has Frankish origins, and comes from “hlot”. In modern English, it has become a “lot”. Another version says that the lottery originated from the Italian ‘lotto’ – which means destiny. It was invented approximately in 2000 B.C, supposedly by the Chinese.
In this article we present the biggest, most obscenely scandalous lottery wins all over the world during the last 8 years! On the one hand the lottery is a disappointing game in most cases, but on the other hand it is still the game of promise! Read on, and don’t be envious!
The Biggest Wins in Europe
1. The biggest prize in Europe was 185 million euros and was won on the 12th of July, 2011. The winning ticket was bought in Scotland. Note that it was the Euromillions ticket.
2. On the 14th of October, 2016, a street cleaner from Brussels also won £ 168 million in the European lottery EuroMillions, which was the biggest win in the history of the kingdom.
3. On the 15th of October, 2016, a resident of the federal state of Baden-Württemberg won the EuroJackpot international lottery prize of 90 million euros.
4. On the 11th of April, 2017 a family from the French city of Dijon won the super-jackpot in the EuroMillions lottery. They won 83.4 million euros while the lottery ticket cost them only 2.5 EUR. The chances of winning this prize were 1 in 116 million.
The biggest winnings in the USA
1. On the 13th of January, 2016 the record jackpot was played by the American lottery Powerball. The winnings were 1.6 billion dollars. This time three tickets won at the same time.The lucky ticket holders divided the money among themselves. The chances of winning of each ticket that participated in the drawing were 1 in 292 million.
2. In June 2017 the biggest Powerball win was $ 528.8 million. The mystery winner bought a ticket in California, in a small store selling alcohol. The organizers of the lottery decided to encourage the sellers and issued them a check for $ 1 million.
3. One of the biggest winnings in the Mega Million lottery – three hundred and ninety million USD was played at night on the 7th of March, 2007. We must say that at that time it was the biggest jackpot in the world, which caused immense hype. There were the large lines of people in front of the sales points and terminals. At the end of the day two lottery tickets won! One of them was purchased at the grocery store in a small town in Georgia by truck driver Ed Nabors. The second was bought by Helen and Harold Mezner, the residents of New Jersey. When Ed was asked how he was going to spend his winnings, he simply answered: “I’m going to do a lot of fishing!”
4. Louise White from Rhode Island became a lucky owner of the Powerball ticket and won 336 million dollars. The draw was held on the 11th of February, 2012 in Newport. The most interesting thing was that she had kept her lottery ticket in the Bible, with which she had even slept, up to that moment itself when she came to the bank, in order to cash her prize!
5. On the 25th of March, a group of colleagues from the State of New York won the lottery Mega Millions with the main prize of 319 million dollars (45 million each). They said that they would spend their winnings on dishwashers, tires and on a university degree for their children.
The biggest wins in other countries
The biggest jackpot draw in Australia was held on the 6th of November, 2012 and it was divided between four winners. The prize of the jackpot in OZ lotto was 112 million Australian dollars (almost 89 million USD).
On the 31th of December, 2010, luck smiled on four players in the Brazilian lottery Mega-Sena, who won 195 million reals (almost 61 million USD). It is the biggest win to date in Latin America.
741 million pesos (15 million USD) – this was the biggest lottery prize in Asia. On the 29th of November 2010, it was drawn in the Philippine lottery Grand Lotto 6/55.
To date, the biggest jackpot in the history of Russian lotteries is 506 million rubles (almost $ 9 million), when on the 5th of November, 2017 a resident of the Voronezh region won one of the biggest Russian lotteries, “Stoloto“.
Keep up with the latest results of the biggest lotteries in the world: check the results of the Euromillions lottery on EuroMillions.com, one of the most popular websites, and become a eurobillionaire as soon as possible!